There was a recent study that came out and said “animals don’t like to be hugged, it causes them anxiety” – I beg to differ. As I write this blog my cat, not a dog … my cat is clinging to my arm begging for attention. If I move my arm away she bites my wrist, if I continue to pet her she purrs and purrs…she’s like the sour patch kids on the commercial. Every cat I’ve ever met hid from people, was skittish, and just not social. My cat didn’t get this memo.
A little over a year ago, a friend of ours texted my husband that he found a 4- week old kitten on the side of road – he sent over a picture and we picked her up that day. She was cute as a button, and we held her and cuddled her the second we got her. And she still loves it, I think I created a monster. To be honest it’s cute but kind of annoying… I’ll be doing a chore or cooking and she will be trying to climb up my leg to be held. She’s training me for children though, I can now successful hold a cat (who sits like a baby in my arms) in one arm, and do a chore with the other. I can even squat down to pick something up while having her in one of my arms… Mommy and me watch out!
Sorry I digress… let’s get back to the recipe. We were in the mood for some hibachi this week, and instead of going out we decided to make some shrimp fried rice. We used to make this all the time, but haven’t in a while. It’s still a house favorite, and doesn’t take a lot of time. (It’s even better for left overs)
Shrimp Fried Rice
Serves 3-4 people
1lb Raw Shrimp
1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
½ Red Onion
1 cup Broccoli
2 tbsp Garlic
½ Bag of Frozen Vegetables (Peas, Carrots, and Corn)
1 head of Cauliflower or 1 Cup of Rice
½ cup coconut aminos
½ tsp ground mustard
1 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch of salt
2 tbsp of Coconut oil
If your using rice: If your using rice, it’s better to make it a day before but making it the same day works well too.
For the cauliflower
Chop the cauliflower in florets, and put into the food processor. Pulse until its at a rice-like consistency. Heat 1tbps of coconut oil in a pan and once hot add the cauliflower. Cook until cauliflower is soft (8-10 minutes). Set aside and start the fried rice.
Directions for Fried Rice
- Wash the shrimp (peel and de-vein if need be), once cleaned coated with cayenne pepper and salt. Set aside.
- Heat 1tbsp of Coconut Oil in a wok or sauté pan over medium high
- Once the oil is hot, sauté the chopped red bell pepper, broccoli, garlic and red onion for 3-5 minutes. (I typically remove once the broccoli becomes bright green). Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add rest of coconut oil to the pan, add the shrimp and cook until opaque
- Add rice or cauliflower to the pan, cook for 1-2 minutes, and then add the cooked vegetables.
- After veggies are added, move content of the pan to the side and add your egg in the empty space. Scramble the egg until cooked, and mix into the rest of the mixture.
- Add coconut aminos and ground mustard to the pan and mix.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!