Too many margs last night… oh well, makes work a little more interesting today. Plus, it was more motivation to get up in the morning for the gym and sweat some tequila out. I
probably wasn’t the best smelling person there, I probably smelt like the worm stuck in the tequila bottle – sorry random guy on the treadmill next to me!
How did you guys spend your Cinco de Mayo?
Our fiesta last night was delicious! While we were prepping for the chicken fajitas, we whipped out some homemade salsa made that was canned by my in-laws and paired it with some gluten free chips. My in-laws are amazing gardeners, and grew all the ingredients in their salsa themselves. Whenever they come over they come with boxes of homemade canned goods filled anything from apple sauce to roasted peppers… our basement looks like it’s ready for a zombie apocalypse! I can’t wait to start gardening at our house – we recently moved, and our yard needs a lot of love … well let’s save this story for another day.
Anyways… the salsa had tomatoes, onions, peppers and some garlic – the perfect salsa combo! Then we got the fajitas rolling. We sided it with Spanish rice (it’s not paleo, but still gluten free), black beans, and of course a lot of avocado. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did! Let me know what you think!
I ate them without the tortilla and topped it with slices of avocado, but that doesn’t mean my husband has to as well!
Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
Makes 4 Servings
Prep time: 15 mins / Cook time: 30 mins
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 poblano pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced (just to spice things up)
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 of a lime
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp cayenne
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup of coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a bowl, combine all of the seasonings
- Place the sliced chicken breasts, peppers and onions in a baking dish 9×12 baking dish
- Pour melted coconut oil and seasonings over contents in the dish, and mix it in so it covers entire dish
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes, until chicken is thoroughly cooked through
- After the pan is removed from the oven, pour the lime juice over the fajitas and garnish with avocado