Anyone with a desk job knows how hard it is to stay healthy and active throughout the day. From 9am to 5pm (sometimes longer), I sit in a chair that I typically end up sinking into, and work at my laptop. Granted my laptop is hooked up to a larger computer screen but I’m still typing and using it, which usually leads to hunching. Because of this, I’m 26 years old, and I’m truly terrified I’m going to end up like the hunch-back of Notre Dame by the time I’m 40.
Since I’m in the marketing field, I know well enough that I will be sitting at a desk for the rest of my career – unless something completely dramatic and unpredictable happens. I had to figure out a few ways to get through the long work days and stay healthy/motivated– and not let the hunch-back take over.
So here’s five things I do to stay sane, and try to avoid the hunch-back future:
- I drink a s**t ton of water. I bring a 750ml Camelbak water bottle with me everyday and try to drink 4 full bottles before I go home. Typically, its 1 in the morning, 1 at lunch, and 2 in the afternoon. I find myself sipping away on this when I’m deep in thought. Although, it does cause me to make a few bathroom trips through out the day… which leads me to my next thing…
- Stand up and Walk around. No, not just to the bathroom. My office is lucky enough to be on the main street in our town. You walk out the door at lunchtime and there’s tons of little shops and restaurants. When the weather is nice, sometimes there will even be “walking meetings” – to avoid the stuffy conference room. Even if you are in a more corporate setting and don’t have this luxury, just get up and stretch those legs!
- Bring lunch. Ok, I’ll admit I’m not an angel at this, but I would say I bring my lunch at least 4 times a week. Whether it be a quick salad I made in the morning, or left overs from the night before, my lunch box is always in the work fridge. Not only am I able to stay focused with my meals, but it also allows me to allocate my money elsewhere, shoes 🙂 .
- Bring Snacks. If you are like me, you want to snack when your bored, busy, irritated, stressed, happy…essentially all the time. I regularly bring a morning and an afternoon snack (Here are some snacks I love). Carrots and hummus, apple slices and sunflower butter, or even some procuitto and melon are all snacks that keep you healthy and feeling fulfilled throughout the day!
- Not eating at my desk. I try to avoid this at all costs. Sometimes I just can’t help it though, work gets crazy and I have to work while gnawing on some kale. Not eating lunch at your desk gives you an enjoyable break from your stressful day! Plus, you might even find someone to talk about the Real Housewives with.
- Stretch. I don’t do this at work, but if hats off if you do! My upper back and neck gets so tense when I get home from work – so to alleviate the pain, I stretch. I’ll do a few yoga posses and neck stretches to get my zen back, even my cat joins in.
Tomorrow I have another paleo recipe planned that I’m so excited to share – so be on the look out!