FRIDAY! I had the most amazing thing happen to me yesterday. After a long day at work, I get home to find my husband (after 2 days of not being home) with a bag of tax free liquor from New Hampshire and another bag of bakery fresh peanut butter cookies. My eyes were LITERALLY popping out of my head… and then the doorbell rang… It was our next door neighbor. Our neighbor is a holistic organic gardener, and her garden is something to aspire too. A few weeks ago she mentioned that she typically digs up herbs and sells them, and since I was interested in starting my own garden in my backyard she said she had a few goodies for me. But time passed, and I thought we both forgot about that generous offer. Until yesterday.
To my surprise, there was our neighbor at our front door with a crate full of different herbs that she pulled. We are now proud owners of basil, tarragon, mint, spearmint, peppermint, garlic chives, and she even added some cat nip. Now we just need some grass to grow, and figure out a space for a garden.
But let’s get back to the recipe…
Sometimes you need to have a kid’s meal, and what’s better than chicken tenders?! These tenders are dabomb.com. The coconut flakes leave the chicken a bit on the sweeter side, but it makes for a great excuse to use a spicy bbq dipping sauce 🙂
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did, let me know what you think!
Cashew Coconut Chicken Tenders
- 1lb chicken tenders (or boneless chicken breasts sliced into strips)
- ½ cup cashews
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbps grounded flax seed
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- In a food processor blend the cashews, coconut, flax seed, tapioca starch, salt, cayenne, paprika and black pepper. Blend until cashews are broken down into small pieces. Then transfer the dry mix into a shallow bowl or dish.
- In another shallow bowl or disk, whisk the egg.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saute pan on medium
- Dip a chicken tender or slice into the whisked egg and cover chicken in the egg. Then dip the same slice in the dry mix, cover the chicken completely with the mix. Set tender aside, repeat for remaining chicken tenders.
- Once breaded, place the tenders in the large saute pan. Cook for 2 minutes (or until browned), and flip to cook the other side for another 2 minutes. Depending on the size of the saute pan, you may have to do a couple rounds of this.
- Once both sides are browned, remove from pan and place chicken on a wire rack that’s placed on a baking sheet. By using a wire rack on a baking sheet, you can easily cook the entire chicken evenly.
- Place baking sheet in the oven for 10 minutes (until fully cooked).
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce!