I can’t believe it’s July 1st! Only 14 more days until my family and I are relaxing on the beach. With the vacation coming up, if your family is like mine, you probably have been thinking about what your summer drink is going to be. Well, I found mine – it’s going to be a Watermelon Mojito.
Honestly, who doesn’t love a mojito? Sure they are great on their own, but when you add some fruit in there, the classic drink gets taken to a whole new level. One of my favorite restaurants in town introduced me to blueberry mojitos last summer, and I’ve become addicted – so I figured why not try my own spin with another fruit I love.
The watermelon gives it a cool light taste that is truly hard to resist. Plus, did you know watermelon is 90% water and loaded with vitamins A, B6 and C, antixoidants, and many other amazing benefits. Now I’m not saying that a cocktail drink will make you ridiculously healthy, but I mean hey, who doesn’t love a cocktail in the warm sun – so might as well drink this one!
- 4lbs fresh seedless watermelon, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- ¼ cup white rum
- 20 fresh mint leaves, muddled
- ½ cup simple syrup (coconut sugar and water)
For Simple Syrup (Makes about 1 cup):
Heat 1 cup of water over medium heat and bring to a boil, then add in coconut sugar. Stir the syrup for 3-5 minutes, until sugar is dissolved. Remove the syrup from the hea and allow to cool. You can store in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
- Add your watermelon to a food processor and blend until smooth – about 30 seconds. There should still be some chunks left.
- Pour the watermelon chunks into a large pitcher and add in the lime juice and muddled mint leaves and stir. Then add in the white rum and stir.
- Taste and add the appropriate amount of simple syrup based on the sweetness.
- Pour on top of ice and enjoy!