We made this on Wednesday and omg it was heavenly! I normally don’t post things immediately after we make them, but honestly I couldn’t wait – this was seriously delicious!
It all started with our neighbor stopping by and giving us these 2 large zucchinis from her garden. Then in our grocery store, I saw eggplants and my mind was like yes, let’s do a paleo version of pasta alla norma.
In Italian restaurants – and when I traveled to Italy – this was my go to meal. I mean who can’t go wrong with pasta, eggplant and sauce?! But now we put our own spin on it with sausage added and a pasta replacement – making it one of the healthiest/cleanest meals in our recipe arsenal.
So open up a bottle of wine, and start cooking!!
Paleo Pasta alla Norma
- 1 large firm eggplant, cut into large chunks
- extra virgin olive oil
- (3) sweet sausage links, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- a large bunch of fresh basil, minced
- (2) 14-oz cans of chopped plum tomatoes
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- (2) large zucchinis or Capellos Fettucini
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat. Once hot, throw in the eggplant. Cook until tender, remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, place the chopped sausage links in. Cook until almost fully cooked through. Remove and set aside (also if there is a lot of grease in the pan, remove some of it).
- In the same skillet, add in 1 tbsp of olive oil and garlic. heat until the garlic is fragrant, add in the plum tomatoes, oregano and basil. Once the mixture is fully heated, add back in the sausage and eggplant. Reduce to the heat to simmer for 5 minutes, and cover.
- If you are making zucchini noodles, place the zucchini in a spiralizer. Cut the noodles so they are not obnoxiously long. Heat in a medium size skillet with a tbsp of oil on medium heat. Cook for 3 minutes, remove. If you are making it with Cappellos Fettucini, follow the directions on the label.
- Serve out the pasta into your serving bowls, and top with the eggplant-sausage sauce.