Keeping this one short and sweet today, because the recipe is that good! I’m a sucker for Chipotle. So it was necessary to figure out a way to DIY one of their burrito bowls, and make it a little more fresher and paleo friendly.
If you have read my blog before, you know that I love veggies. I used red red bell peppers, tomato, red onion, romaine lettuce, black beans, and cilantro. The great thing about a burrito bowl, is that there is no right way to make it. So if you don’t like veggies that much, you can always play around with the ingredients!
I know, rice and black beans aren’t paleo, but live a little! I normally don’t have either in my diet, but since I run so much I like to incorporate rice or a carb a little bit throughout the week.
Adobo Chicken Burrito Bowl with Cilantro Lime Rice
For the Rice
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, minced
For the Chicken
- 3lbs chicken breasts
- 7oz can of adobo chilis, drained
- 2 tbsp siracha
- 3 tbsp barbecue sauce (I used Annie’s Natural – it’s GF)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
For the Bowl Toppings:
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 can of black beans, drained and warmed
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced and diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- Marinate the chicken: Mix together the siracha, barbecue sauce, lime juice and liquid from the abode chilis. In a large ziplock bag, or a bowl (that can be sealed), pour the liquid over the chicken. The longer you marinate the chicken, the more flavorful it will be. I typically will start the marinade in the morning, then stick it in the fridge so it’s ready for dinner.
- 30 minutes before your ready to eat, cook your rice according to the package directions. When the rice is done cooking, mix in the lime juice and cilantro. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350ºF, place your marinaded chicken in a baking dish, and cook for 20-30 minutes (until the chicken is cooked through, and it’s temperature is 165°F).
- Once the chicken is cooked, take 2 forks, and pull apart the chicken.
- Put a scoop of the rice in a bowl, add the chicken, and add your toppings.