Happy 2017!! Hope everyone had a fantastic New Year! We kept it low key this year and it was awesome. As years are going by, it’s less and less appealing for me to want to be out in a crowded bar for New Years – so my husband and I decided that we would just invite a few friends over and cook a delicious meal. And delicious is an understatement, the dinner was fantastic.
I tried a few new recipes (sorry friends, I used you as guinea pigs 😉 ), and everyone seemed to love it. Plus, all the meals were gluten free, paleo, and whole 30 – is there a better way to start of the year? Of course I will be sharing the recipes we made, but let’s start with one of the sides, Green Bean Bacon Bundles.
We needed a green to go with the meal, and I thought green beans would be perfect. My only problem with green beans is that there is really no flavor to them, unless you sauté them with a crap load of butter. So we blanched the green beans, and wrapped a handful of them with bacon and roasted them for 20 minutes. They filled the kitchen with the wonderful smell of bacon and tasted amazing. The bacon added so much flavor to the beans, I doubt my husband will ever have regular beans again!
Green Bean Bacon Bundles
Servings about 12
- 1½ lbs green beans (6-8 beans per bundle)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 slices bacon
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Cook bacon on the stove top until partially cooked through.
- Blanch the Green Beans: Trim and wash the green beans. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add baking soda. Add green beans and cook 3 minutes until tender crisp. Remove from boiling water and place in a bowl of ice water to stop cooking.
- Dry the green beans, and mix them with the garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Cut each piece of bacon in half, and wrap them about 6-8 green beans. Secure the bundles with a toothpick and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast for 20 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp and the beans are lightly roasted.