One of the best things that came out of our wedding gifts (besides the Kitchen Aid) was our spiralizer attachment. Honestly, we use it about once a week – and I’ve literally tried to spiralize everything.
My latest trial was with a sweet potato, and what dish would be better with a sweet potato noodles, a puttanesca. If you’ve had traditional puttanesca before, its typically made with anchovies, garlic and capers. It’s not really a meal you want to eat if you were let’s say on a date. This version is a Neapolitan style, where we don’t use anchovies. It’s less of a fishy pungent taste, but still full of flavor.
This recipe is also great because it’s packed full of pantry staples. It makes your shopping list a lot shorter, and who doesn’t love that?!
It’s completely made in one large sauce pan, so clean up is easy too. It makes making weeknight meals a lot easier!
The sweet potato noodles give the dish a little sweeter taste, but it does a great job absorbing the sauce flavors. You can easily substitute the sweet potato with another vegetable too!
Hope you enjoy this dish as much as we did! 🙂
Shrimp Puttanesca with Sweet Potato Noodles
Paleo, Whole 30, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Sugar Free
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 30oz cans of whole tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon capers
- 1/2 cup halved green olives
- 3 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, spiralized
- 16 medium shrimp, deveined and de-shelled
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium-low heat. Once hot, add in the garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook until the garlic is lightly golden and fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes, and in the capers, olives, parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the sweet potato noodles. Cover the saucepan and let cook for 5 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Mix in the shrimp, and re-cover. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the shrimp has cooked through.
- Portion the pasta into your bowls, and garnish with parsley.