Has anyone seen the new Beauty and the Beast?! I did last night with my Mom, and OMG. No words can even describe how wonderful it is. It doesn’t stray off from the original, the music is amazing, and Emma Watson was the perfect pick for Belle. I left the theatre in awe last night, and woke up still amazed at how wonderful it was! I heard that Disney is remaking 11 of their movies – my head and heart literally wants to explode.
Ok well your probably not reading to hear me rant about how much I love Disney movies, you probably were lead in here by either the “hash”, “sweet potato”, or “pico de gallo” words in the recipe title, so let’s talk about that…
I love breakfast, and brunch, and anything that has to do with “morning” food. And on weekends when we have nothing planned, there’s nothing I love more than waking up and cooking a big breakfast, and this is what we make. Hash has become a morning staple in our house, not only is it easy to make, but it’s even better for left overs.
One of the best things about this recipe is the pico de gallo. Since the hash and eggs are warm from the oven, this cool crisp topping gives it much needed flavor.
Obviously we also make this on the weeknights for meals, because who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner? We also almost always make this when we have people staying over. I normally prep the ingredients the day before, that way when you wake up you just have to cook them in the skillet and oven, top them and serve. Saves a bunch of time, and people love it!
Sorry for this image, when I put the hash in the oven, one of the eggs ran away :(. Anyway, here I just topped it with the fresh pico de gallo, and then after I added some avocado and extra cilantro. Wah-la, a delicious filling breakfast (or dinner)!
Looking for other breakfast ideas, try some of my favorites:
Also, this week if you signed up for my newsletter you will receive an additional recipe that won’t be posted on the blog for a while! (Just because you follow my blog, doesn’t mean you will receive it, make sure to sign up here)
Southwest Sweet Potato Hash with Pico de Gallo
Paleo, Gluten-Free, Grain Free, and Dairy Free
For the hash:
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons melted ghee
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cage-free eggs
For the pico de gallo:
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
Additional Optional Toppings:
- Sliced Avocado
- Chopped Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400
- Mix the ingredients for the pico de gallo and set aside.
- Cube the sweet potatoes, and place them in a microwave safe bowl. Wet a paper-towel, and cover the bowl. Place in the microwave on high for 2 minutes.* Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat up the ghee on medium high heat and mix in the onion and peppers. Once fragrant, add in the sweet potatoes, and spices. Cover the skillet, and let cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the potatoes are tender, remove the skillet from the burner and flatten the mixture a bit with the back of a spatula.* Make 4 shallow groves in the mixture, and then crack the eggs in them.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the eggs are to your liking.
- Remove from the oven, and garnish with the pico de gallo, avocado and additional cilantro.