After a few crazy weekends, my husband and I were exhausted and our bodies felt like they hated us. I don’t know about you, but once I get out of a routine it’s so hard to get back into it. So, last Tuesday we began a whole 30 as a way to detox and set our minds (and bodies) straight again. Today we are on week 2 and we’re totally shocked about how great we feel. We both are sleeping better than before, more energy during the day – plus my body is feeling back to normal (thank god!).
One of the things I absolutely love to eat are tacos, I crave them almost every other day – but being on whole 30, we need to substitute the corn or almond flour tortillas and use lettuce leafs. Not a big deal, but every since I started using Siete Almond Flour Tortillas our taco game has changed. We’ve been eating them more since they are completely paleo and gluten free – and the taste amazing!
My husband absolutely hated corn tortillas, it wasn’t so much the taste but the fact that they never held the taco. They always seemed to break. When he tried the Siete Tortillas, we were amazed on how they don’t break, and how delicious they are. They basically absorb most of the sauces and juices from what you pack them with, so they complement everything perfectly!
(This is totally not a solicited post, these are my own reviews and experiences with the Siete Tortillas. Just wanted to share another way we all can improve our paleo and clean eating habits.)
Now, if I completely sold you on tacos tonight (it is #TacoTuesday) here is a great recipe – Sweet Plantain and Shrimp Tacos … I mean c’mon!
If your paleo you know plantains are all the rage. Sweet, savory and sometimes salty, just fry these babies up and you have the perfect side dish or a healthy chip. So why not add them to your tacos?
This recipe only takes 30 minutes, and its a perfect summer time flavorful dinner. Just fry up some plantains, then cook some chipotle marinated shrimp, then slather some guacamole on your tortillas and pack it all together. Your taste buds will be jumping for joy!
Sweet Plantain and Shrimp Tacos
Servings = 8
Total Time = 30 minutes
Paleo, gluten free, grain free and whole 30.
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons chipotle puree
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp paleo mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Sriracha (or to taste)
- ½ lime, juiced
- In a medium size bowl, mix the shrimp, chipotle puree and olive oil. Set aside to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Make the slaw by mixing the cabbage, carrot, cilantro, mayonnaise, and sriracha. Season to taste with lime juice.
- In a sauté pan on medium-high heat with one inch of coconut oil, fry the plantains, flipping at around 4 minutes to cook on both sides. Drain on paper towel and cut lengthwise.
- Using the same pan, heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil on medium high heat. Add in the shrimp, and cook until opaque.
- To make tacos: slather each tortilla shell with guacamole, then add slaw, fried plantains and top with chipotle shrimp.