If you can’t tell from my recipes, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mexican food! Tacos, enchiladas, burritos… you name it, I love it! But when I’m making my favorite chicken enchiladas, I never know what to make as a side, since rice and beans aren’t really paleo.
We had to find a substitute and something that would compliment our meals. Let me preface this by saying I hate the taste and smell of zucchini, especially steamed. Normally when we buy zucchini, I sprialize them for ‘zoodles’ and smother them with some kind of sauce.
On Cinco de Mayo this year we were making my favorite paleo chicken enchiladas, and this was the only veggie we had left in our fridge to work with. Since we had the oven on, we decided to coat them with Mexican spices and roast them – and they turned out amazing! When they came out we mixed it with fresh cilantro and added a little quest fresco. Now this is our go-to side dish.
I know, I know the paleo diet doesn’t allow for any dairy, especially if your a strict about it. We’ve been doing whole 30 regularly and eating clean, which has taught me to recognize exactly which foods caused my body distress. I’ve realized that refined sugars, grains and some dairy typically are what causes me indigestion/bloating, weight gain, mood swings or low energy. But thinking about my life without a little cheese is so sad, so if I need to top a dish with some cheese, it’s typically queso fresco.
Anyway, this roasted zucchini recipe will be a great pair to any summer grilling recipe, or taco. Cheese or not, definitely give this a try!
Mexican Roasted Zucchini
Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free, and Whole 30
- 3-4 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Optional: Queso Fresco
- Heat the oven to 400F, and line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a bowl, mix together the diced zucchini and olive oil. Then mix in the chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne powder.
- Spread the zucchini out evenly on the baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the zucchini is browned.
- Remove from the oven, and sprinkle with fresh lime juice, cilantro, and quest fresco.